It is summertime in Oceanside, technically. Even though it isn’t altogether warm just yet, you still should know what to do if you step on a jellyfish. Getting stung in the water is a possibility, for sure. The jellyfish are alive and on patrol. However, what people do not realize is that if you step on a jellyfish, even if it is a dead jellyfish, it is likely you will get stung. Postmortem jellyfish stings are every bit as painful and dangerous as live stings in the water. A little bit scary, don’t you think? The jellyfish has nematocysts on their tentacles that release poison until the poison is all gone. Also, these little critter’s stings need attention. You may feel tingling, itching, and pain.
So, the question is…
What do I do if I step on a jellyfish?
- Remove the tentacle: Remove them from your body and clothing. will keep pumping poison so remove it as soon as possible. Make sure you remove it with a stick, flat rock, or other implement. You may get stung on your hands if you don’t.
- Get the stingers out: It isn’t enough to just remove the jellyfish because there are likely stingers stuck inside your foot. You will need to scrape those off like you are shaving with a dull knife or rock.
- Rinse with ocean water: It seems counterintuitive but fresh water causes the stingers to release more poison. So rinse the area will without scrubbing.
- Vinegar: or baking powder, or flour, or ammonia, or lemon juice, or rubbing alcohol will deactivate any stingers left and help you get relief quicker.
- Don’t sit in pain: Go and get an over the counter sunburn treatment with lidocaine.
- Call Oceanside Urgent Care: A sting can be bad. You may not have known what to do and your sad foot may be full of venom. If you have further concerns or your foot turns dark purple don’t hesitate to get yourself emergency medical attention.